Department of Civil Engineering Peshawar Campus
The courses of study leading to the Degree of B.Sc. civil engineering have been planned to offer a broad spectrum of civil engineering subjects. The curriculum lays emphasis on subjects of structures, irrigation, geotechnical, transportation engineering, environmental engineering and hydraulics. These courses include laboratory and design work. The prescribed syllabi and examination standards compare favorably with the standard of under-graduate work developed in UK, USA and Canada. In addition to course work, the final year students are required to work on a project under the guidance of senior faculty members. Study tours and extension lectures are also arranged during the session for the benefit of the students. Second year or third year students during their summer break and final year students after passing the final examination in civil engineering may work with some recognized organizations, registered with PEC or government department or semi-government department to acquire practical training of 800 hours for award of degree. The Civil Engineering Department offers a post-graduate programme with specialization in structural engineering, water resources engineering, environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering and earthquake engineering.Faculty & Staff of Civil Engineering Peshawar Campus
The mission of Department of Civil Engineering is stated as under.
"To equip civil engineers with knowledge, skills, and professional attitudes for producing innovative, safe, economical, and sustainable solutions."
The Program Educational Objective's (PEOs)
- Civil Engineering program at the University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar aims to produce graduates who possess/exhibit the following capabilities after four years of graduation.
- 1. Engineering knowledge and skills to meet the requirements of society.
- 2. Professional and ethical behavior to manage civil engineering problems.
- 3. Strong interpersonal communication and management skills as leaders and contributors in their profession.
- 4. Lifelong learning to meet civil engineering challenges faced by the society.
- Academic Programs
- - B.Sc. Civil Engineering
- - M.Sc. Civil Engineering
- - Ph.D. Civil Engineering
Field visits to Civil Engineering projects of national importance are arranged for students. Each year students and concerned faculty members visit facilities and projects with a high technical merit.
Each year field course in surveying and leveling is arranged for students of third year Civil Engineering for a period of three weeks for experience. The course includes hands-on work in contouring, triangulation, fly leveling and plane tabling.
- Laboratories The Department is supported by well-equipped laboratories having state-of-the-art machinery and equipments. It has the following laboratories:
- - Concrete Laboratory
- - Hydraulics Laboratory
- - Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- - Highway engineering Laboratory
- - Material Testing Laboratory
- - Surveying Laboratory
- - Public Health Engineering Laboratory
- - Postgraduate & Undergraduate Computer Laboratory
- - Structural Engineering Laboratory
- - Earthquake Engineering Centre
- Research The faculty is involved in need-based research projects, continuously interacting with industry. In this regard some of the projects recently undertaken are:
- - Application of Slope Stability Techniques
- - Development of Attenuation Relationship for Pakistan
- - Microzonation Map for Different Cities of Pakistan
- - Seismic Strength Evaluation of Masonry Buildings
- - Evaluation of Indigenous Pozzolanic Materials
- - Insulation Properties of Porous Bricks Cavity Walls and Other Indigenous Materials
- - Shake Table Test of Reduced Scale Masonry and RC Structures
- - Advanced Composite Materials
- - Bridge Assessment (Collapse Analysis)
- - Earthquake Resistant Design
- - Low Cost Water Filters
- - Cost and Performance Optimization of Bridge Superstructures